Friday, January 22, 2010

#8 - Fluff Marshmallow Treat


Oh goodness, my lovely friend Leah has gone and created a facebook group for this blog! So while I don't believe I have much of an audience yet, I at least have a greater potential for one. And I think someone once said something like "with greater potential comes greater responsibility." And so I feel it's only right that I start taking my ricecake recipes a bit more seriously. It's been about a week after all.

Actually
, I made Fluff Marshmallow Treat last week-end. I made it because I knew that if I didn't make something quick, I would never get the memory of the worst food combination in the history of ever (green olives and mussels! Yuck!) out of my brain. But then I had a very busy first half of the week, and as Fluff Marshmallow Treat got farther and farther away I became less and less interested in writing about it. So I apologize if this blog entry seems contrived, but I'll do my best to recount the experience authentically.

I was skeptical about this recipe. I mean, I've learned enough by now to be skeptical of them
all, but this one especially, as it contained marshmallow fluff! I have seen this on shelves in grocery stores but have never been able to figure out what it's used for. When I told my boss about my purchase he laughed out loud, and told me that he often purchased marshmallow fluff as a joke gift for friends of his.

Janet MacNab herself descibes this recipe as "Simple and sweet!" and I couldn't possibly say it better myself. The marshmallow fluff is spread onto a ricecake, and then it's topped with shredded coconut and rainbow sprinkles. That's it. It's tastes like a 1980's childhood, and, having actually had one of those, it tasted nostalgic to me. Marshmallow fluff's somehow received a bad name, but I thought it tasted just like meringue, and who doesn't like meringue? But that said, I have no idea what I'll do with the rest of it. Any suggestions? Or would anyone like an only slightly used jar of marshmallow fluff?

This was pretty great, for a ricecake recipe.

5 comments:

  1. Keep the Marshmallow Fluff! You might want to make this sweet and simple recipe again. And if the Fluff Marshmallow Treat can conjure your 1980s childhood (I also had one of those -- it was pretty awesome), then basically what you'll have if you keep the Fluff is some bottled time travel in your pantry.

    Or, if a full jar of Marshmallow Fluff makes an excellent gag gift, imagine how much funnier a slightly used jar might be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. -- I love this blog, Amelia :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use marshmallow fluff for fruit dip. One jar of fluff and one block of cream cheese...mix it together and eat it with apples, bananas, grapes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even fathom how much fruit I'd need on hand to use an entire jar's worth of marshmallow fluff for dipping! But a great idea!

    Someone else suggested s'mores, which also sounds fantastic!

    Though Sally's right, too. A slightly used jar of marshmallow fluff would make a hilarious present!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Looks and sounds delicious! I do love Marshmallow fluff though!! I'm so happy you've started this blog, Amelia! I love it and I miss you!:)

    ReplyDelete