Saturday, January 2, 2010

#2 - Ham Omelet


4-6 ricecakes
6-12 slices of cheese
1 tablespoon diced onion

4-6 eggs

3-4 diced mushrooms

1/2 pound sliced cooked ham

1/2 medium size diced green pepper


For best results cook one at a time.

Use small microwaveable bowl. e.g. breakfast bowl.


Lightly oil bowl and break egg into it.

Mix well with desired amount of mushrooms, onion, pepper and Vegit.

Cook in microwave for 50-60 seconds on HI or until egg is cooked through.

On ricecake place cheese, ham, egg and another slice of cheese.

Cook in microwave for another 30-60 seconds on HI or until cheese is melting.


Top with your favourite sauce!
Makes 4-6 servings

***

This was great, but not so much the ricecake part. I'd say most of the greatness responsibility rests on the shoulders of the remainder of my 5-year-old cheddar and the delicious ham steak. Ham is delicious. Who knew? Not me. I was a vegetarian for nearly twenty years until about a year ago, and I hated ham when I was a kid. I was sort of paranoid about cooking it properly. I followed the microwave instructions on the packaging, thinking that using that method of cooking would be in keeping with the spirit of "Remarkable Ricecake Recipes," but then I cooked it on the stove for another five minutes or so, just to be safe.

Anyway, the omelet.

First of all, I discovered too late that the recipe calls for two items that aren't listed in the ingredients: oil and Vegit. I had the oil, but when I got to the "Vegit" part, really, my heart kind of sank. I would have held off on this recipe, but I was already halfway through. Only my second recipe and I'm already being untrue. I used the Mrs. Dash.

Janet MacNab's cooking instructions are kind of strange, here. Although she lists ingredients for making 4-6 servings, she suggests that each serving be cooked individually. And also, she instructs you to use one tablespoon of chopped onions for four to six ricecakes!! I'm sure I used at least a tablespoon for the two eggs I rebeliously cooked together, and placed on top of one ricecake, along with all of that delicious cheese and ham.

I was so eager to taste my creation that I completely forgot about adding my favourite sauces. Fortunately, I still had half of my meal left. Unfortunately, ricecakes shouldn't be reheated I think.

Of all of the sauces in my fridge, I couldn't decide which was favouriter out of Memories of Szechwan Sauce and Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce, both President's Choice brand of course. I frigging love President's Choice. Neither of them were very appropriate, but really, after reheating the ricecake, it was unpalatable anyway.

Today I have learned to read an entire recipe all the way through before I go shopping, and that perhaps it's time to embrace some of those cold recipes. I don't think that microwaves and ricecakes are really meant for one another. I'd consider trying a new brand of ricecake were it not for having 26 of them sitting in my cupboard.

I don't mean to be such a downer. I started this off by saying, "This was great!," didn't I? And I meant it! It's just the reheating that didn't work out so well.

4 comments:

  1. It sure did the trick! By which I mean: held the liquid with which I rid my mouth of the terrible reheated-ricecake-aftertaste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would rice cakes like the oven better than the microwave oven? Might retain the crispiness a bit better (although I don't want to be to blame for your departing even further from these tried and true recipes!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet ricecakes would totally prefer the oven! But for now at least I am, indeed, trying to follow the directions properly.

    ReplyDelete