Tuesday, January 5, 2010

#4 - Cheese & Tomato Lunch




4-6 ricecakes
4-6 slices of marble cheese
1-2 sliced tomatoes
2-3 shredded romaine lettuce leaves
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream

Spread mayonnaise on each ricecake.
Place shredded lettuce and tomatoes evenly over surface.
Sprinkle with Vegit and top with another slice of cheese.
Heat in microwave for 40-60 seconds on HI or until cheese is bubbling and melting.
Allow to cool, top with a spoonful of sour cream.

Makes 4-6 servings

(P. 10)

***

First of all, I should tell you that I'm really only using the amounts of ingredients suggested by Janet MacNab as a very basic guideline. I mean, so far, I'm just "cooking" for myself. And I know what I like and what I don't like.

I don't like tomatoes. I can't stress that enough. Sauces, salsa, even soup, they're fine, and I even use canned tomatoes in making these things, but a plump, juicy, fresh tomato? I want to throw up.

Last week when I purchased the tomato I intended to use in this recipe it struck me that it was probably the first time I had ever bought one, in my whole entire life. I wanted to get at least one of the tomato recipes out of the way as soon as possible. So you'll have to excuse me for using a pretty small slice (but a slice nonetheless!) and for mostly just eating around it (but taking a bite of it nonetheless!) Of course the tomato taste made its way into the cheese and the lettuce and the should-never-ever-be-microwaved ricecake, but it wasn't the worst experience I have ever had. In fact, the tomato aside, it was pretty okay. I don't think any of these recipes would be too bad if only they weren't microwaved.

Oh! And I should mention - Mrs. Dash isn't very flavourful. I have got to get me some Vegit proper, as I suspect it's called for in about 90% of these recipes.

Another thing: I think the directions here were kind of off, as I was instructed to "top with another slice of cheese" before I was instucted to use the first slice of cheese! Anyway, there was no shortage of cheese on this ricecake.

I didn't eat a single ricecake yesterday, and that was pretty great.

Tomatoes still suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment