Friday, January 1, 2010

#1 - Instant Grilled Cheese

Instant Grilled Cheese
4-6 ricecakes
8-12 cheese slices

Place 1-2 slices of cheese on each ricecake to cover surface. Heat in microwave for 20-30 seconds on HI or until cheese is bubbling and melting.

To heat four at a time: 90-110 seconds on HI.
Cooking time will vary according to the kind of cheese and thickness of cheese used.
For extra flavour sprinkle with your favourite spices.

Makes 4-6 servings

(from Janet MacNab's Remarkable Ricecake Recipes, p. 14, published in Bedford, Nova Scotia)

***

I was feeling so ambitious a couple of days ago, and I bought all kinds of ingredients. Including marshmallow fluff. I was going to make something that required a lot more work to make and a lot more courage to eat, but, actually, I feel like it's New Year's Day.

Despite not having had a thing to drink last night, I still feel like I have a wicked hangover. I woke up in a barn in Antigonish County after staying up until about 5 am. It was a great party. One coffee, one advil, and one 2 1/2 hour drive later, I am ready to go back to bed, and not at all interested in aquainting myself with marshmallow fluff. "Instant Grilled Cheese" is not actually the easiest recipe in the book, but it is certainly one of them.

I only made one ricecake, for me, and I actually heated it for 35 seconds instead of the 20-30 seconds suggested by Janet MacNab. I bought some fancy cheese before Christmas , and for this I used President's Choice brand 5 year-old cheddar. I didn't add my favourite spices, but perhaps I will when I try this again later on this evening, as I've just realised that I completely forgot to take a picture!

It was not very good. Frankly, a waste of very good cheese. The ricecake seemed kind of soggy. Maybe they shouldn't be heated? Maybe it was the brand? Maybe I don't like ricecakes? It has been a long time since I've had a ricecake that wasn't of the fancy, flavoured variety.

But I am not giving up hope! There are over a hundred recipes in this book, and I'm certain ricecakes will redeem themselves.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. I know I said that I would make this again and take a picture of it, but I don't want to. Just imagine the ham omelet without the egg or the ham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...i have just read the one entry here, the first in the series, and sincerley hope that you do in fact return to the cheese rice cake thingee, it just sounds way too yummy not to. i personally would use some fancy hot spicey cheese on it...mmmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete