Friday, February 5, 2010

#12 - Ham & Celery Munch



Oh I know, I've been terrible at keeping up with this. I guess surpassing my 10-recipe-quota for the month of January made me a bit cocky. February's such a short month, I'm already almost a quarter of the way through it, and this is my first entry! I'm going to try to keep on top of this. February just sucks so much, with the brutal cold and the short days, it's hard to get excited about eating food I always anticipate hating on top of all that. Maybe I'll stick to really simple recipes this month, and just try to get through it.

I actually made Ham & Celery Munch a couple of evenings ago, and it wasn't too bad. Just celery, onions, ham and cheese on a ricecake, microwaved until the cheese had melted. I liked the melted, and its certainty. Usually Janet's instructions include the direction "until melting." I usually like that, too. Generally being a fan of shades of gray, and of the kinds of literature classes in which a major focus is on the in-between spaces, the hyphen, the idea of cooking until melting really appealed to me in a romantic sort of way. Who's to say exactly where that is, that place between not being melted at all and definitely being melted for sure? It's so obviously and refreshingly subjective. But February's the kind of month in which I don't want to think about much. I just want to play video games and watch bad tv until the sun comes out. So melted was a small relief.

As for the actual meal - Well, I'm really indifferent to celery. Why do people eat celery? I thought it was just for putting in ceasars. Celery's a stupid, boring, tasteless vegetable. Not at all offensive, just not at all exciting, either. And as for the onions, I have the same criticism I had about the mushrooms last week - these are really great vegetables when they're cooked, as opposed to just being warmed up in a microwave. Can't go wrong with cheese or ham, though. (The ham was cooked!) So it worked out alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment