Saturday, February 13, 2010

#13 - Apple Cinnamon





It's still February, and as you can see, I'm still moving slowly. But I bought a lot of groceries today, and I'm not as angry at ricecakes as I was earlier in the month. Especially after this one! Another winner!

My friend Kathleen came over for a couple of hours this afternoon/evening, which was lovely, and our last chance to spend some time together before she moves to Montreal next week. I think she was hesitant to try a ricecake recipe, but I think a lot of that hesitancy came from her assumption that I was going to make her eat marshmallow fluff. (There's another marshmallow fluff recipe coming up, faithful readers! So I'm glad I didn't get rid of the remainder of the jar.)

No marshmallow fluff. Instead, we ate something comprised of all kinds of delicious ingredients. Check it out: apple slices, cream cheese, cinnamon, walnuts, yogurt, and shredded coconut. I'm not a huge fan of shredded coconut, but it's okay. I'm a pretty big fan of everything else!

The best part about this recipe is that Janet offers her readers a few choices. The first instruction is to spread either cream cheese or cinnamon spread onto each rice cake. I've never even heard of cinnamon spread. I can imagine it, but I don't believe it really exists ready-made. I sprinkled cinnamon on the cream cheese, and that worked out. This choice does make me wonder about her decision to call this recipe "Apple Cinnamon," though. It would hardly have lived up to its name if I had simply decided on plain old cream cheese, without the cinnamon. And her last instruction is to "Top with your favourite yogurt!" I didn't really use my favourite. I'm not a yogurt connoisseur by any stretch; I hardly ever buy the stuff. The stand in for "my favourite yogurt" was Yoplait Source brand, raspberry flavour, because it was on sale at Sobey's. But, by far, the best part of this recipe is the following line: "Eat as is or heated in the microwave for 40-60 seconds on HI or until heated through." I ate as is!

It was delicious, and I think you can tell that Kathleen thought so too!

No comments:

Post a Comment